The presidency says there is no intelligence report before President Muhammadu Buhari warning of the security implications of the Muslim-Muslim ticket fielded by the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Bola Tinubu, presidential candidate of the APC, had picked Kashim Shettima, former governor of Borno, as his running mate for the 2023 presidential election.
The development has elicited varied reactions from Nigerians, with Christian groups kicking against the decision.
Recall truthlive.net had earlier today reported that the Department of State Service (DSS), in a “secret memo” to Buhari, warned that the Muslim-Muslim ticket “will destabilise Nigeria and endanger Christian lives”.
Reacting in a statement issued on Friday, Garba Shehu, presidential spokesperson, described the news report as “toxic”.
The presidential spokesperson said the report is seeking to “sow division and chaos” on the choice of Tinubu’s running mate, hence Nigerians should disregard it.
“We wish to advise well-meaning Nigerians to ignore a laughably puerile report by an apparently pirate online newspaper seeking to sow division and chaos on the choice of Governor Kashim Shettima as the Running Mate of our Party’s Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” the statement reads.
This so-called newspaper is like a deadly virus. Stay safe by keeping away from its toxic reports.”