Ismail Abdulazeez Mantu Reporting
The US is pausing military assistance to Ukraine and reviewing it to ensure that it is contributing to a solution, a US official told reporters on Tuesday.
“The President has been clear that he is focused on peace. We need our partners to be committed to that goal as well,” the official said.
On Monday, The Washington Post reported, citing an administration official, that Trump was discussing the matter with officials.
Among the options under review were cutting down on the shared intelligence between the two countries and the training of Ukrainian soldiers and pilots, according to the report.
Earlier on Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing current and former US officials, that the US has suspended the funding for new weapons sales to Ukraine and was contemplating stopping shipments of armaments from US caches.
The move came, according to the report, as part of the Trump administration’s bid to reduce foreign aid, dating from late January.
“This is the worst statement that could have been made by Zelensky, and America will not put up with it for much longer!” the US president wrote.
Recall on Friday, Trump and Zelensky held a heated debate in the White House Oval Office, which ended with the Ukrainian president’s premature departure.
Trump accused Zelensky of being ungrateful for US support, while his Vice President JD Vance blamed Zelensky for being “disrespectful” and requested he thank Trump.
Trump warned that failing to accept a US-led peace deal with Russia would mean “gambling with World War III.”
“You’re either going make a deal or we’re out,” Trump further stated. “And if we’re out, you’ll fight it out and I don’t think it’s going to be pretty.”