Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, Minister of Women Affairs, has announced a reward of N2 million for information leading to the arrest of Adachukwu Cukelu-Okafor, an Anambra-based lawyer accused of brutally abusing her 10-year-old house help.
In a disturbing video that went viral, the young house help was shown with severe burn injuries allegedly inflicted by Cukelu-Okafor, using objects like a broken bottle, knife, and electric iron. The child had been living with the lawyer in Onitsha North LGA of Anambra since January 5, 2024.
Speaking to journalists in Abuja on Monday, the minister said she has the right to intervene in any matter that concerns women and children in the country.
“I kept quiet because I thought by now it should have been solved. For the fact that up to date it has not been solved, I’ve decided to wage in,” she said.
“Everything that concerns women and children across Nigeria, I have every right to get involved in it. See this one I kept quiet what has happened to date? Nothing!
“So I’m not going to listen anymore. I am going to wage into any issue that concerns women and children across this country.
Kennedy-Ohaneye declared Cukelu-Okafor wanted, urging Nigerians to assist in locating her and handing her over to the authorities. She emphasized the urgency of the situation, highlighting the suffering endured by the young victim.
Furthermore, the minister announced plans to issue a directive to prohibit the employment of underage individuals as domestic workers. She called on Nigerians to be proactive in reporting such cases and assured prompt action from her ministry.
Kennedy-Ohaneye encouraged citizens to take advantage of the current administration’s commitment to addressing societal issues, urging them not to hesitate in providing valuable information to support the country’s progress. She emphasized the accessibility of her ministry for anyone seeking assistance or intervention.