The United Nations has expressed deep concern over the recurring terrorist attacks on schools in Nigeria. UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric stated this in response to a correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria on the recent coordinated attacks on multiple schools across the country.
The UN’s alarm comes against the backdrop of a devastating week of violence targeting educational institutions across two Nigerian states. A series of militant attacks on schools across Nigeria over the past week has left more than 80 children missing, according to local officials and rights groups.
In Borno State, militants abducted at least 42 children from a primary school between Wednesday and Thursday in the Askira Uba and Chibok areas. According to Amnesty International, the attack occurred in Mussa village near Sambisa Forest, a known stronghold of Boko Haram and its splinter faction, the Islamic State West Africa Province.
Meanwhile in Oyo State, armed men abducted 39 students and seven teachers in a coordinated attack targeting several schools in the Ahoro Esinele community in Oriire district on Friday. The attack simultaneously struck a Baptist Nursery and Primary School in Yawota, and two other schools in Esiele.
The Christian Association of Nigeria in Oyo State said 46 people, mostly children aged between two and 16 years, were taken away. Police described it as a “coordinated attack.” Two teachers were also reportedly killed during the Oyo State attacks.
Vanguard News reported that President Bola Tinubu condemned the attacks as “barbaric,” promising that the federal government was working with Oyo State to “rescue all the victims.” “We expect a breakthrough soon,” he said in a statement released by his office.
The UN Security Council had earlier this year taken note of Nigeria’s worsening security situation. Members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the heinous terrorist attack in Kwara State on February 3, 2026, which resulted in the loss of at least 100 lives and destruction of properties.
They reiterated that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable regardless of their motivation, and urged all states to cooperate actively with the Government of Nigeria to hold perpetrators accountable.
The scale of the crisis has been building for months. According to the Global Terrorism Index, fatalities from terrorist attacks in Nigeria rose by 46 percent in 2025 to 750, with thousands of schools, health centres and agricultural fields destroyed since the insurgency began in 2009.
Analysts say armed groups often target schools to attract attention and exert pressure on authorities, making such institutions increasingly vulnerable.
Kidnappings of students have become a recurring security challenge in Nigeria, particularly in the north, with more than 300 children abducted in two major school attacks last year alone.
As of the time of filing this report, none of the children abducted in this week’s attacks have been recovered.