The Kogi State government has directed all primary and secondary schools to reopen on Monday, 23 February, following a two-week emergency closure.
The announcement was made by the Director of Basic and Secondary Education, Matthew Eri Salami, in a statement issued in Lokoja on Saturday.
He said schools are to resume academic activities after what officials described as an emergency mid-term break.
Earlier this month, the state government ordered the temporary closure of schools for two weeks beginning 4 February. Authorities said the move was aimed at protecting lives and property.
The State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, described the closure as a “purely preventive decision”, based on credible intelligence and the need to strengthen security measures around schools.
He said the government acted out of responsibility rather than panic, choosing to take proactive steps to safeguard pupils, students and teachers.
Following the initial directive, the Kogi State chapter of the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools also instructed its members to comply with the closure.
The statement read, “I am directed to inform you that schools are to resume on Monday 23rd of February, 2026 after the emergency mid-term break.
“Other information will be communicated later.”



