A retired police officer has reportedly committed suicide after killing three people in Yovoyan community in the Badagry area of Lagos State.
It was gathered that the incident which occurred in the early hours of Tuesday is linked to a long-standing land dispute.
The deceased victims who were identified as Richard Atideka and Latevi Atideka, are both his family members from the Yovoyan community and another Muji Onilude from the neighbouring Gberefu community.
Truthlive News learnt that the deceased alongside some unidentified assailants while armed with weapons stormed the premises of Richard and Levi at midnight, went into their rooms and shot them in the process, Punch metro reported.
A source in the community who pleaded anonymity said the ex-police officer perpetrated the act at about 2am.
“The deceased visited the home of the family members around 2am where he perpetuated the act. He was said to have shot Richard and Latevi with a gun before he escaped from the scene. “
Meanwhile, the ex-police officer in a separate attack was said to have proceeded to Onilude’s house where he also shot him dead.
“Oluyide is not a member of the family, but he was also shot by the ex-officer shortly after killing his two family members. Though according to a report lodged at the police station, members of the community confirmed to have heard sounds of gunshots at midnight.
“The cause of the incident is yet to be ascertained but there are claims that there had been some disagreement over a land belonging to the family. Although, the said land is currently a court matter.” the source disclosed,” the source added.
The Lagos State Police Command while confirming the ugly incident on Wednesday disclosed that the perpetrator went ahead to take his own life after committing the act.
Spokesperson of the command, Benjamin Hundeyin, said that the ex-police officer allegedly took a poisonous substance, became unconscious and was later rushed to the hospital where he was confirmed dead.
“The man who is the suspect in the incident is dead. He killed three people and allegedly took poison after committing the act. He was thereafter rushed to the hospital, where the doctor confirmed him dead. His corpse and those of whom he killed have been deposited in the morgue.”
Hundeyin added that the case had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation.