The management of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, has explained why it declined approval for the use of its facility for a lecture scheduled to be delivered by former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi.
The clarification follows concerns raised by Obi over what he described as a growing pattern of cancelled university engagements across the country, warning that intellectual freedom in higher institutions may be under threat.
In a statement issued on Sunday, April 26, 2026, by the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Olarewaju, the university said the organisers only disclosed the calibre of the guest on Friday, April 25, 2026—just a day before the planned event.
According to the management, the late notice made it impracticable to put in place the required security and logistical arrangements for hosting a high-profile personality.
“The general public is hereby informed that a particular group within the students’ body extended an invitation to the former presidential candidate and two-term governor of Anambra State to deliver a lecture within the university premises.
“It is important to note that events involving high-profile personalities require adequate prior notification to enable the institution to make necessary logistical and security arrangements, including liaison with relevant security agencies such as the Nigeria Police and the Department of State Services (DSS),” the statement read.
The university added that the short notice ultimately made it impossible to approve the use of Oduduwa Hall for the event, which was scheduled to hold on Saturday, April 26, 2026.
“Consequently, given the inability to complete these critical arrangements, the university authorities could not approve the venue as requested by the organisers,” it stated.
The management stressed that the decision was based solely on safety, orderliness, and adherence to established protocols, noting that it was not a reflection of disregard for Obi, whom it said the institution holds in high esteem.
Meanwhile, Obi had earlier disclosed in a statement released on Saturday, April 25, 2026, that he was scheduled to deliver a keynote lecture at the university at 9 a.m. before proceeding to Ibadan for a political summit when he was informed that the event had been called off.
The former Anambra State governor described the development as part of a broader pattern, revealing that similar cancellations had occurred more than 10 times.
“While such occurrences may be dismissed in isolation, it is important to state clearly that this has now happened more than 10 times. This is no longer incidental; it points to a troubling pattern that should concern all well-meaning Nigerians,” he said.
