A Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, fixing the sum at ₦100 million with one surety in like amount.
Delivering the ruling on Monday, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik imposed strict conditions for his release, saying the court must be satisfied that the defendant will appear for trial.
The judge ruled that the surety must reside in either Maitama or Asokoro districts of Abuja and must deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy of a landed property with the court.
She further stated that the surety must be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 17, with proof of salary payments for at least three months.
“The surety must provide affidavit of means, enter into a bail bond, and submit a recent passport photograph alongside a verification letter from their department,” the judge ruled.
Justice Abdulmalik also ordered that El-Rufai must surrender all valid international passports as part of the bail conditions.
In addition, she directed that the former governor must report to the headquarters of the Department of State Services (DSS) every last Friday of the month at 10 a.m. to sign an attendance register until the conclusion of the case.
The court warned that any breach of these conditions would result in automatic revocation of the bail.
El-Rufai was arraigned over allegations of tapping the National Security Adviser’s telephone line, according to court proceedings.
He was brought into the court premises at about 8:55 a.m. on Monday under heavy security escort by operatives of the secret police, who had earlier cordoned off parts of the court.
The tight security presence restricted access to journalists, court staff and members of the public, leading to brief tension within the premises.
Reacting to the situation, activist and former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Omoyele Sowore, criticised the restriction, insisting that the court is a public institution.
“A court is a public facility that should not bar Nigerians who want to observe proceedings,” Sowore said.
A court official, who spoke anonymously, said DSS operatives had earlier taken custody of El-Rufai before bringing him to court for arraignment.
“They came to pick him at about 7:00am in order to arraign him in court,” the source said.
Another court observer described the security presence as “unusual but controlled,” noting that proceedings eventually continued without disruption.
The case has been adjourned for further hearing as legal proceedings continue.
